paradise lost

over the winter holidays, I don't know why I did it. I flew out to some remote island resort, for so long, that 3 sets of friends came and went. a person could only last there for about 5 days maximum.

there were 3 choices of alcohol, tanduay rum (a large bottle costs less than a pack of cigarettes, I suspect it is actually gasoline diluted with water), red horse beer, it's legendary here, a liter can knock 4 people out, with a 2 day hang over. and normal beer.

I lived in this funky hut, when for a few days while booking was all mixed and messed up (I'm terribly forgetful). it had green and orange drapes! I wanted to die. there were storms, no cellphone signal, no internet. the waves were insane.I must admit, I had an amazing time... to be in a place where you really feel the ocean... paradise.

4 comments:

February 18, 2009 at 2:34 AM efrem davis said...

This reminded me of camp back when i was skinny and had an 'Fro. It was a disaster. the first day a jerry curl wearing girl named Mary, who always tried showing off, got a fish hook stuck in her jaw. That incident killed our fishing expedition. tThen we enter completely segregated camps (no girls... no chance...) so later that night five of us tried to infiltrate the girls camp and was never seen again. The second night I was told that i kept up our entire group from my snoring. it was cold and we were to young for beer so some bright guy thought to smoke leaves... the next morning, breakfast was some kind of meat!? and some yellow stuff. that when i saw my first girl at camp... she had an orange dress thingy on (The only reason i noticed her because she threw the mystery breakfast at one of the servers...

February 18, 2009 at 2:41 AM efrem davis said...

...it was not until the forth day that I saw it clear and blue: Lake Erie. For the first time since I arrived I felt peace even though we couldn't swim in the water (it was poisionous and polluted at the time, dead fish litered the shores and a faint chemical smell permeated the air) it was still a profound "act" of paradise that I will never forget.

February 18, 2009 at 5:38 AM Lily Penelope said...

Efrem...always excuses not to go in the water!!!! Remeber with studio with richard and the salivating guy down at Venice Beach??? You were afraid to even put half of your foot in the water...and they would teach class on the dirty sand and we would build castles!!!! I am still laughing at your post and about the girl in the orange dress!!!

February 18, 2009 at 7:15 AM ML said...

you guys are making me laugh! good god, we were in venice beach???!!! now I remember! oh oh oh... efrem! post post post! I love the way you guys both write!

Post a Comment