"VERSE"



I have now traversed the the threshold of twilight, standing in a quiet building while the noise of my life crashes about like some rambunctious child within my head. The fissures are showing and I get to witness my life from the dizzying heights of remembrance, staring at the vast densities as if it was the City itself--convoluted, intricate and secret--waiting for the Sun to crash among the horizon. I cannot closed my eyes for long (one cannot wander through one's life in the dark), so I jaunt through the depths of Vertigo to see what it means to be Human. I tend to forget. The claustrophobia of forgetting forces me from its narrow hallways to the open-streets where the irony of the young are displayed among the catastrophe of architecture. Steam erupts from the hyperbole of their current flesh and I see the waste of precious energy that I secretly long for...

And I get dizzy again.

The world d'volves from saturated technicolor to somber gray-scale then black. I awake in a familiar place. "Mr. Davis, your blood pressure is extremely high and your heart... your heart is enlarged..." I tried to close my eyes again. That dizzying spell was purposely medicated and now some stranger was telling me my life is...

But I couldn't focus!

I watched my room bellow and laugh in carnival about me. Yet I laid there struggling not to be a shadow.

Now I stand at the highest point of a random building. I stare down at the cluster of pedestrians and I have the urge to fly. But I don't jump. That dizzying feeling becomes a sensation that rushes through. I still don't jump. I smile to myself wryly. I just altered the space and intended purpose of this building as this building altered a fundamental psyche I held within me. I gave up the idea of throwing myself to the mercy of the City and sat on the floor next to the window and watched the City slowly burn in the encroaching night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment